The first couple of weeks after New Year were a dead loss in allotment terms (unless one was thinking of going down with a blowtorch) as the ground was frozen solid. But now temperatures are back to a global-warming-influenced 5 or 6 degrees, which means that it's time to carry on digging the plot.
December was a hive of activity for me, if not for many other allotment holders. After receiving a letter from the District Council that the plot was going to be repossessed if I didn't pull my finger out and get it to a presentable standard, I cleared something like 80% of the plot in about 15 hours of digging. I don't have the exact measurements to hand but it was goddamn hard work whichever way you look at it.
But the plus-side is that Bob can now get started on the less strenuous stuff - final clearance of the weeds and getting the first seeds of 2009 in - while I finish that last back bit of the plot, which was always wild even in 2007 when we had our act together on this thing.
I'm gonna do a digging session or two next week so I'll post some camera pictures of how it's looking at present. Dull, but you gotta start somewhere I guess...